Sunday, 23 August 2026

Sat 220826 Went out traveling, again: Walthamstow Central, Southall, Uxbridge, Wembly, Marlybone.

 Sat 220826 Went out traveling, again: Walthamstow Central, Southall, Uxbridge, Wembly, Marlybone.

-----

Table of contents:-

DISCLAIMER: THESE EVENTS HAPPENED, YESTERDAY: Sat 22nd Aug 2026/AND, ARE ONLY JUST NOW BEING RECORDED, TODAY: Sun 23rd Aug 2026

2 PM HENRY MILLER HOUSE, WALTHAMSTOW CENTRAL, 97 CHURCH HILL/EXPLORED SEEING THE AREA: BACK STREET: CAIRO ROAD/STREET MARKETS/SHOPS

3:30 PM LIVERPOOL STREET STATION/STREET SCULPTURES

4 PM FINSBURY CIRCUS...SAT DOWN: ATE/DRUNK A BIT

6 PM SOUTHALL/SOUTHALL PARK/MacDonalds (burger)

7 PM UXBRIDGE/SHOPPING CENTRE

8 PM WEMBLY PARK/WEMBLY STADIUM

9 PM MARLYBONE/SAW 'LATE NIGHT' ART GALLERY SHOW HAVING BEEN PUT ON BY STUDENTS

0.08 - CONCLUSION: MUST HAVE WALKED MILES (BUT, GOING VERY 'SLOWLY')

-----

2 PM HENRY MILLER HOUSE, WALTHAMSTOW CENTRAL, 97 CHURCH HILL/EXPLORED SEEING THE AREA: BACK STREET: CAIRO ROAD/STREET MARKETS/SHOPS

- https://www.henrymillerfineart.co.uk

I had already 'signed up' online for the 2 PM visitor slot (visits last up to one hour long) to go and visit seeing Henry Miller House in Walthamstow, 97 Church Hill.

So, I believe I left home...somewhere around 12:00 midday. From West Norwood bus garage...I jumped onto a number 68 bus, changing at Herne Hill; to take a number 3 bus going towards Brixton.

At Brixton, I switched to using underground Tube train...and, basically, as Brixton is the 'start' of the Victoria Line...; all I had to do was stay on the tube until the very end of the line was reached...around 12 stops...which is Walthamstow Central.

Got out of Walthamstow Central tube station...; and, walked upwards...; turn left: Hoe Street/cross over, turn right: Church Hill...; and, then, proceed along towards where there is a girls school...opposite that girls school...is exactly where the 2 storey house at 97 Church Hill lies.

-(In actual fact, because I was 'early' for my 2 PM appointment...I decided instead to go off exploring seeing the area for a bit...walking along the main road...; then, next, take a side turning which was Cairo Road...that leads in towards Church Hill.)-

I rang the bell...; and, was greeted by a guy. I explained who I was...and, that I had 'signed up' online to go visit the house. I was welcomed in...; and, then, I proceeded to look at the artworks/of which there were 2 floors full...; all devoted to covering 'male nudes'. -(I even remember seeing a few David Hockey prints.)-

The guy who had let me in...patiently, explained...that this Henry Miller House...has got nothing to do with the the 'famous' American writer/artist: Henry Miller/who also produced over 2000+ watercolours. -(Which is what I had originally been expecting to see.)-

Instead, this house seem to be devoted to showing off, frankly, 'homo-erotic' works; it seems to be an online/offline business...which also 'sells' artworks...as each artwork had a printed 'price' label being attached onto it, as well. The price range...as far as I could see...was around £450.00 up to £4,500.00+.

The allowable length for the visit is 1 hour. But, I only stayed there for around 15 minutes...taking time enough to go exploring seeing the full 2 floors of artworks...some stuck up on the walls.../others, mounted framed prints placed inside of wooden floor based holders which you can 'flip' through.

Before I left, I complimented the person who did originally let me in...; by saying you have an excellent eye for picking 'top quality' artworks...; for which he thanked me.

After that I made up my mind, to never return back there ever again; most definitely, NOT my sort of thing! (I didn't see even 'one' single girl there...just guys.)

-----

The choices left open to me, now...was to either go about exploring seeing more of the Walthamstow area...; or else, 'move off'.

I explored seeing the high street for a bit...it was Saturday/and, the market was open. (Bearing in mind I had no money to spend/but, I did remember to take along a back pack...with a couple of plain water drinks in it/and, also
, little food/sweets inside of my coat pockets...in order to avoid total 'dehydration' setting in).

After exploring seeing the high street for a while...I realized that both my legs are no longer 'young' anymore...; and, I'm actually walking at what can only be described as an absolute 'snails pace'. -(When I was 'young'...I would actually run, everywhere.)-

So, I decided a much 'quicker' way to see an area/or, the adjoining areas...is, of course, to take public transport...as I have a FREE London 60+ travel pass...; so, I decided to jump on a bus going off towards Liverpool Street.

(I cannot now recall exactly what number the bus was I took...? I do hope at age 63+...Alzeimer's isn't setting in...!)

-----

3:30 PM LIVERPOOL STREET STATION

Liverpool Street station.

I recall walking all around Liverpool Street station...; just attempting to explore and get to know the area better.

I should have take photos...; as I had my iPad with me, as well; but, most unfortunately, I felt far too lazy to even try..so I did not take any pictures at all.

I do recall there was some round silver ball/atom like structures...located in front of the station.

-----

4 PM FINSBURY CIRCUS...SAT DOWN: ATE/DRUNK A BIT

Anyway, along my walk, I ended up at Finsbury Circus Gardens.

Where I stopped to go rest for a bit...; and, had something to eat/drink.

Eventually, I found I had walked back in a wide circle going straight back towards Liverpool Street station.

----

6 PM SOUTHALL/SOUTHALL PARK/MacDonalds (burger)

I recall looking at the tube station map...; and, it mentioned that you could get to Southall...which is a place I'd only visited seeing just 'once' before in all of my entire life(they have a huge Indian/Sheikh/Muslim community).

I remember visiting it just out of curiosity during one 'late' evening...(I was as Bond Street tube station...I think, it was the Elizabeth Line...when I saw the name Southall being mentioned as one of the following stops); having heard about this place on the 'news'...; but, never actually having been there before.

So, this time, I thought to myself...why not go see what the area looks like during the daylight hours, instead...?

It was, I suppose, like seeing any other bustling city on a Saturday...; lots of shops/and, street market sellers...; mostly, selling food/but, also, many other goods. (A huge melon -which is one of my most favourite foods- can be brought very cheaply. As I had no money with me this day...; I decided to return back.)

From Southall station, I remember walking downwards...; then, turning left...; I'd explored seeing some of what was on the right before.../but, never the left turn...???

This, eventually, led me to Southall Park. Which, very slowly, indeed -(legs no longer being in any sort of 'running' shape)- I decided to go walking all around(or, at least, 3/4's around).

I saw...
- some 'keep fit' outdoor equipments.
- and, a tennis court
- and, a kind of outside running track (not really a track/just the side of the park walk way). Anyway, I saw some joggers...

After having gone and walked around the park, by turning left...; this time, I decided to re-trace my steps...; and, this time, turn 'right'.

Eventually, this led me off to reach MacDonald's restaurant...; which is where I decided to buy myself their 'cheapest' possible burger/and, bun. I think, the cost was something like: £1.29.

But, I gladly ate that food...as a form of refreshment.../and, also, to stave off 'dehydration' from setting in. You see, drinking 'plain water' is NOT enough...; your body also needs to replenish 'salt' content.

From MacDonalds restaurant I crossed over the road...; and, took a bus going to Uxbridge.

I really couldn't remember visiting Uxbridge before...; and, wanted to go there for the first time.

-(Though, I might have visited it, previously; and, forgot...; anyway, it's the last stop, I believe, on the 'green' District Line tube map.)-

----

7 PM UXBRIDGE/SHOPPING CENTRE

I recall getting out of Uxbridge...; and, feeling rather confused...; as there's really not all that much to see, at first. Basically, all you see in the bus station.

However, when you walk around the corner...; then, you find yourself having run into a huge shopping mall.

I think, I took the lifts to go upstairs inside of a store called: Sports Direct...just to check out seeing what the price of goods was like...? But, I felt somewhat 'shocked'...compared with the Sports Direct store located near where I live in Streatham...; their prices seemed to be much more 'expensive'.

I tried looking for goods I was most interested in buying...but, didn't find much. So, I very quickly left retreating going straight back down the escalator stairs.

----

8 PM WEMBLY PARK/WEMBLY STADIUM

I'm not exactly too sure what made me take a trip to Wembly.

Well, no, that's a lie, actually.

The truth is, I was following this Asian girl: Chinese, possibly...; and, after following the girl...; she alighted at Wembly Stadium.

Being extremely 'shy' to chat with people who are strangers...; I decided to let the girl go.

I looked all around me...and, thought to myself...I'd never actually visited seeing Wembly area, before...; it certainly looks interesting...; like a brand 'new' development place; and, there are loads of people being seen all around(or, at least, during that Saturday evening).

Basically, I found myself walking straight towards Wembly Arena. Yes, the very same 'famous' place which you see being advertised on TV...as the major big round sports centre. I thought to myself...wow...it's so huge...the approach itself must be 200-400 yards long...or, more...800 yards...; and, there are shopping centres being located all around.

-----

By now I realized that time is getting really 'late'...as the skies are turning rather dark...; and, as I don't wish to stay out on the street all night long. Not so much because staying out 'late' bothers me...; but, more because I had very little money left to go buy 'food/drink' to help my body to fully 'recover/rehydrate'...after having done so much walking...all day/evening long.

So, continuing to walk across going pretty much in a straight line...I asked a guy passing where is the nearest station...; and, he pointed to me just ahead. -(I have 'short sight'...so, don't always see things very clearly from at a distance...???)-

When I had reached the station...; also, called, Wembly...; I saw a sign which said trains from here go, continuously, to 'one' single destination...which is Marylebone.

-(NOTE(1): I think, one station is called: Wembly Park...which is the one I 'started' out at/and, the other one is called: Wembly...which is located going across from there.

NOTE(2): Wembly station had two sides to it...; and, one side led to many other routes...those routes I didn't know...?! So, only just one side interested me, alone; and, that was the side with trains going to Marlybone...because I already know there...; and, from there I know I can take a number 2 bus straight off home.)-

----

9 PM MARLYBONE/SAW 'LATE NIGHT' ART GALLERY SHOW HAVING BEEN PUT ON BY STUDENTS

Marlybone station was interesting...in that the evening light had turned somewhat 'black'...; however, I was able to see the bus stop just outside of the station which said number 2/and, also, N2(night bus).

I stood there waiting for a bit...; but, with no bus having come, yet...; so, I decided to go exploring seeing around this area for a bit...up until when my bus did come. I did not attempt to stray too far away from the bus stop...; so, that I can still get to see my bus arrive.

Eventually, a number 2 bus did arrive...; the destination said West Norwood(where I live)...; and, I happily got on.

-----

However, as soon as the bus went around the corner...; I noticed a gallery show going on...; that's when I made up my mind to go in there and view the exhibition show.

So, straight away, I think, it was 'one' stop after jumping on the number 2 bus...I jumped off...; and, walked inside of the gallery. I witnessed seeing what looked like being college kids. I say kids...but, they were mostly 16/18/early 20's.

The exhibition was just one floor wide...

- on one side of the exhibition floor hall...there was a TV show/along with a few pictures on the wall. I watched the video playing for a bit...; but, eventually, got 'bored'...; so, decided to 'move on'.

- on the other side of the exhibition floor hall...was just paintings/pictures/photos.

Some of the exhibition I recorded using my iPad camera. Some I didn't bother to record at all(as frankly those pictures made me feel a little bit sick...?!).

I tried check out if there was an upstairs...; but, all I saw was an upstairs sign pointing to 'toilets'.

After having seen/recorded everything...I decided to leave.

----

I jumped onto another number 2 bus...; and, this time went all the way straight back home to West Norwood.

As soon as, I came home...I eat/drunk...to refresh/replenish loss of bodily fluids/salts; and, then, crawled straight into bed.

Much too 'tired' to write this post...; which I'm writing now the very next day.

----

0.08 - CONCLUSION: MUST HAVE WALKED MILES (BUT, GOING VERY 'SLOWLY')

Most unfortunately, long gone are the days when I used to both 'walk/run' everywhere...going for endless miles and miles. 10+ miles out; then, another 10+ miles back, again...usually, taking a different route altogether.

Now-a-days, I mostly seem to take 'public transport'/and, then, get off and walk. One advantage is...one finds one can travel out going much further than one could by just using an ordinary pair of legs...; and, also, public transport tends to reach there so much 'faster'.

The big disadvantage is you are either...

- just sitting down...whilst 'waiting' to get to another station(not particularly healthy)

- or, when you do get out of the station and walk...it's not so much as 'fun'...as when one previously used to run.

Nevertheless, at any stage of life...I happen to be extremely grateful for all that I got.

Certainly, I'm quite heartily glad that at age 63...I'm not...
- using a walking stick
- stuck inside of a wheelchair
- in a nursing home quarters (where I have no other choice but to follow other people's rules)
- can move around entirely freely, and, also, independently...without needing anybody else's help
- etc.

And, barring any 'accidents' occurring...I can see this situation continuing for quite a while, yet; maybe, into my 70's+.

-----

Though, the truth is, nobody knows exactly what lies before us, tomorrow/or, even, right now, today.

I could, accidentally, 'trip'...fall down the staircase, and, thus, break my leg/hip...; that sort of the thing, might easily put an end to my doing regular traveling, anymore.

Or, one could go out...get attacked by a gang/or, stranger(mad/bad/drunk/on drugs/mentally ill/prejudiced/-etc.)...; and, through having had that really 'bad' experience...you might NOT wish to go out there, anymore...; just 'stay in' remaining somewhere that feels completely 'safe'.

May be an image of the Atomium and text that says 'H T Live Liverpool LiverpoolStreet LiverpoolStreet pool Street 日じ'

No comments:

Post a Comment